Whitehall Township

A HISTORY of LEHIGH COUNTY PENNSYLVANIA Published by James J. Haurer 1902

Whitehall Township is bounded on the north by North Whitehall township, east by Northampton county and Hanover, south by Allentown, west by South Whitehall. Organized in 1767. Population in 1900 was 7,935. The soil is very fertile and of limestone formation. Iron ore and cement are found in large quantities. The principal streams that drain the township are Jordan, Coplay and Mill creeks. The Lehigh Valley, Catasauqua and Fogelsville R, R's., pass through the township and afford an easy outlet for the products of the farmers, iron ore and cement.

The first Settlement was made near Egypt, in 1733, by some emigrants from Germany.

The first school in the township was in connection with the Egypt church 1733. The schools of the township are among the best in the county, being graded and ungraded.

The people are employed in farming, dairying, mining, quarrying and manufacturing. Cement works are found in Egypt and Cementon.

VILLAGES Cementon, founded in 1770, by John Siegfried, and contains stores, hotels, churches and a post office, and is on the Lehigh Valley R, R. Population in 1900 was 500. West Catasauqua, a suburb of Catasauqua contains stores, hotels, foundries, factories of various kinds and graded schools. Population in 1900 was 600. Fullerton , founded in 1862, contains car shop, wheel and forge works, rolling mill, foundry, stores, hotels, churches, schools and post office. It is on the Lehigh Valley R. R, Population in 1900 was 800. Egypt, founded in 1733, contains stores, hotels, churches, schools and a post office. The first church in the township was built in this place in 1733. Population in 1900 was 1,200. Mickley's is a growing town along the Lehigh Valley R. R. and has a post office. Catasauqua, Egypt and Fullerton are connected with Allentown by Electric roads.