A HISTORY of LEHIGH COUNTY PENNSYLVANIA Published by James J. Haurer 1902
North Whitehall is bounded on the northeast by Northampton county and Whitehall township, southeast by South Whitehall township, northwest by Washington township and southwest by Lowhill Township. Population in 1900 was 3,280. It was organized in 1753. The surface is undulating and the soil is very fertile and all the principal grains are raised. Iron ore, limestone and cement are found in large quantities. The principal streams that drain the township are the Jordan, Rock, Fell's, Mill and Coplay creeks. On the banks of Mill creek were committed the Indian massacres of 1763. The people are engaged in farming, mining and manufacturing.
The schools are among the best in the county, the first school was established in 1755, at what is now Unionville. The first English school was established at Balliettsville in 1816. Union church is the oldest church and was built in 1750. The first Reformed minister was Rev. John D.Gross, and the first Lutheran minister was Rev. John H. Schaum.
VILLAGES-Balliettsville, founded in 1749 by Paul Balliett, contains a store, hotel and post office. Population in 1900 was 120. Unionville, founded in 1815, contains a store, hotel and post office. Population in 1900 was 200. Ironton, founded in 1860, is situated in a rich mining district and is connected with Coplay by the Ironton R. R. and contains store, hotel and post office. Population in 1900 was 300. Ruchsville, founded in 1800, contains a store, hotel and post office. Population in 1900 was 112. Siegersville, founded in 1750 contains a store, hotel and post office, is situated in a rich mining district, Population in 1900 was 125. Schnecksville, founded in 1845, contains a store, two hotels and post office. Population in 1900 was 200. - Laury, founded in 1832, contains a store, hotel, flour mill and post office. Laury's Island in the Lehigh River is a well know summer resort. Populatlon in 1900 was 250. Rockdale, founded in 1856, contains a store, hotel and post office. Population in 1900 was 150. Kernsville, founded in 1806, contains a store. Population in 1900 was 60.