A HISTORY of LEHIGH COUNTY PENNSYLVANIA Published by James J. Haurer 1902
Lower Macungie is bounded on the northeast by Salisbury township, southeast by Upper Milford township, northwest by Upper Macungie township, southwest by Berks county. Population in 1900 was 2,920. It is one of the richest townships in the county, soil is very fertile and productive and is of limestone formation. Rich and valuable hematite ores are found. The Flats near East Texas in this township are especially rich in iron ore, The principal streams that drain the township are the Little Lehigh and Swabia creeks. Industries are the Lockridge furnace near Alburtis, Macungie furnace, flour mills, etc. The people are largely engaged in farming, mining, dairying, trucking, The schools are in fine condition and compare favorably with the schools of the County, The teachers and directors are working together for the welfare and advancement of the schools under their supervision. The first settlement was made in 1738, near Macungie, by some German settlers led by Michael Schaeffer.
VlLLAGES-Centerville is a suburb of Macungie, contains a hotel, store, schoolhouse and number of dwelling houses, post office Macungie, electric railway passes through the town. Population 360. Alburtis on the East Pennsylvania Branch of the P. & R. railroad and the terminus of the Catasauqua and Fogelsville branch of the same railroad, is a thriving town and has several stores, hotels, silk mill:, shirt factory, post office, school house containing four schools ; was founded in 1857 and its population in 1900 was 780. East Texas is a small village, seven miles from Allentown on the line of the Allentown & Kutztown Traction Co., it contains a store, hotels, school house and post office. The population in 1900 was 240. Wescoesville, a small village, five miles from Allentown, has a store, hotel, church and school house, the Allentown & Kutztown Traction Co.’s electric railway passes through. Population in 1900 was 200.